To get started, I cut up two sheets of green tissue paper and watered down some white glue. I also taped around the opening in each box to provide a little more strength. It helps if you leave the plastic in the box, but if you take it out (like I did on one of them without thinking), you can always glue some more plastic in its place (I used a small piece of a trash bag but a food storage bag or grocery bag would work too). Having the plastic and it being reinforced with packing or duct tape helps your child keep his or her feet in the box.
I started gluing on the tissue paper, using lots of glue and overlapping the pieces. After one layer, you could definitely still see the printing on the box. I wasn't too worried about it, but if you don't want to see what's on the box, you might consider covering it in paint or a thicker paper.
After another layer, the printing was mostly covered.
Once my boxes were dry, I cut up a large kitchen sponge to make the claws. I cut the sponge in half and then got three large and two small triangles out of each of the two pieces.
I used the larger triangles for the front claws and stuck two of the smaller ones together to make the back claw.
Trip's reaction to these dinosaur feet was interesting. They sat on the table almost the whole week and he would have nothing to do with them. Daddy and I each tried to get him to put them on and both times it ended in him falling to the floor and crying just at the suggestion. Then, during the weekend, he suddenly wanted to try them on. We put them on his feet and he tromped all over the house roaring and having a great time.
As Trip tried them out, we discovered that they are a little slick on our carpet, so I added a few lines of hot glue to the bottom of each box to provide some traction.
I was glad that this project didn't turn out to be a flop and that Trip realized how fun some new feet could be.
I'm linking up with: