Thursday, May 31, 2012

Y Week- Yogurt Cake

I found this delicious yogurt cake recipe just in time for Y week. It's very simple to make, and tastes even better a day or two after it's made- if it lasts that long, that is. I had a ladies' lunch to attend a few days after we made this cake, so I made a double batch, and put a cooled cake in a Ziplock bag. It was still super moist and delicious when I opened and served it three days after I had baked it.

Trip loves to crack eggs, so I let him help me, which is always an adventure.


His idea of cracking eggs is putting the egg, shell and all, into the bowl. He sure thinks it's fun, though, so I don't mind obliging from time to time.



French Yogurt Cake from the May 2012 issue of Bon Appetit magazine

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350*. Coat a standard (8 1/2 x 4 1/4") loaf pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray (I used butter). Dust with flour; tap out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert on a wire rack; let cool completely. Can be made up to three days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That recipe (and your description) sound delicious! I'll have to try this one sometime!

    ReplyDelete