Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Six Week Raisin Bran Muffins


With so many wonderful sweets around Christmastime, I decided to give our friends something a little different. My mom has been making this recipe for Six Week Raisin Bran Muffins for as long as I can remember. What’s so great about it is that you make a huge batch of the batter and then store it in the fridge for up to six weeks. With each passing day, the flavors intensify, making the muffins even better a couple of weeks later than when you first mixed up the batter. On any given day, whether you want four fresh muffins or a dozen, they just take fifteen to twenty minutes of baking time and you’re done. They’re a simple breakfast or snack item that can bake while you’re in the shower or getting the kids dressed.

After whipping up a batch and a half of batter, I portioned it into large yogurt containers and quart-sized jars to take to our friends. Any airtight container will do. A little scrapbook paper dressed up the yogurt containers nicely.


When giving this muffin mix as a gift, I include a tag with baking directions and a “use by” date (six weeks from when I made it). I've found it to be a nice hostess gift as well as a practical gift for new moms or families who have suffered a loss or are dealing with illness.


Six Week Raisin Bran Muffins

1 (15 oz.) box raisin bran cereal (the kind with "crunch"/granola is good too)
1 quart buttermilk
1 cup canola oil (vegetable would work too or part coconut oil, part canola)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
5 cups flour (can be a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat, if desired)
5 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

Crush cereal in bag then pour into a large bowl. Add buttermilk and mix. Let soak for 5-10 minutes to soften cereal. Mix in oil and eggs, followed by sugar, then dry ingredients. Mix well. Bake immediately or store batter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to six weeks. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400*F for 15-20 minutes, until browned and toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly my family's recipe for Bran Muffins, except we use all bran flakes, not Raisin Bran. I've found it keeps better (IMO) and those who don't like raisins (like my Mom) don't complain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made these in so long, but they are by FAR my favorite muffins! I always think of the delicious smell of buttermilk and Raisin Bran whenever I think of these...

    ReplyDelete