Tuesday, March 27, 2012

E Week- Eating Eggs

We went through lots of eggs during E week and enjoyed them several different ways.

Trip thought these deviled egg chicks were pretty cute.


He didn't want to eat them, but enjoyed the bed of puffed millet they were sitting on. He liked eating it as well as "feeding" it to the chicks. (And he finally decided to wear the crown that he wouldn't have anything to do with when I made it for him months ago during K week!)



We also had a German pancake/Dutch baby which was delicious with a little jam on it. Trip wasn't too crazy about it, but I loved it.


If found this recipe in a Family Circle magazine from April 2002 and have had it in my recipe binder for years. If I'm just feeding myself and maybe Trip, I make a half or a third of a batch, both of which work well. If I make a smaller batch, I just cook it on the stove and put a lid on the pan.


German Pancake

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
confectioner's sugar, for dusting, optional

Heat oven to 400*. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Melt butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Pour mixture into hot skillet. Carefully transfer hot skillet to 400* oven and bake for 20 minutes or until pancake is golden and puffed. Sift confectioner's sugar over top of pancake, if desired, and serve immediately. (It's also great served with jam or maple syrup.)

1 comment:

  1. That is SO cute! And who wouldn't want to wear a crown while feeding deviled egg chicks?

    ReplyDelete